The Eco-Fund Rating assesses equity mutual funds on the basis of their market returns and their environmental performance.
The starting universe consists of a total of 530 equity mutual funds classified into four distinct categories by Fundata based on the composition of the equity investments:
- Canadian Equity: majority investments in Canadian equities
- International Equity: majority investments in equities outside of Canada
- Global Equity: investments in all countries around the world including Canada
- U.S. Equity: majority investments in U.S. equities
This ranking therefore consists of four separate rankings – one for each category.
The following three quantitative indicators are employed in rating each fund. Note that a given fund is only compared against another fund in the same category, not across categories.
- Three-year compound return, net of fees (the “Fund Return Score”): the higher are the three-year compound returns of a given fund compared to other funds in the same category, the higher is its Fund Return Score. This indicator accounts for 50 per cent of the Final Score.
- Weighted carbon intensity (the “Fund Carbon Intensity Score”): the weighted carbon intensity of a given fund is calculated by obtaining the ratio of scope 1&2 greenhouse gas emissions (CO2e data provided by South Pole Group) to sales for a given equity multiplied by the weight of that same equity within the fund summed for all equities in that fund. The lower the weighted carbon intensity of a given fund compared to other funds in the same category, the higher is its score; scores range from 0 (worst) to 100 per cent (best). This indicator accounts for 25 per cent of the Final Score.
- Green Exposure (“The Exposure to Green Companies”): weighted exposure companies that derive at least 20% of their revenue form environmental markets or new energy as verified by FTSE Environmental Markets and/or Bloomberg New Energy Finance. The higher the weighted green exposure of a given fund compared to other funds in the same category, the higher is its score; scores range from 0 (worst) to 100 per cent (best). This indicator accounts for 25 per cent of the Final Score.
- The Final Score is the sum of the individual scores of the above three indicators. The top 20% of funds in a category receive a 5 Tree rating, and the next 20% a 4 Tree rating, and so on. In cases where a Fund Return Score is not available (for instance, a given fund has been in existence for less than three years), the Final Score is calculated as 50% of the Fund Carbon Intensity Score + 50% of the Fund Green Companies Exposure Score.
To enhance the validity of the assessment,we omitted any funds for which we did not have adequate (at least 2/3 of the total holdings) coverage of their securities greenhouse gas emissions data. After applying this screen, 424 unique mutual funds remained.
Sources: The starting universe of mutual funds, fund categories and all market data such as market weights and three-year compound returns were obtained from Fundata.
Fundata combines analytics expertise and industry intelligence with the most comprehensive investment fund database in the market. We deliver robust, tailored analytics solutions to fulfill data, marketing, and compliance needs.
The weighted carbon intensity and percentage exposure to green companies were obtained from Corporate Knights’s Clean Capitalist tool. Created by Corporate Knights and powered by carbon data from South Pole Group, the Clean Capitalist Decarbonizer is an interactive tool that shows the financial implications of divesting high carbon companies in favour of those that derive at least 20 per cent of their revenues from environmental markets or new energy. The Clean Capitalist database covers 8,500 securities (comprising more than 85 per cent of global market capitalization), including all primary public equity securities with a market cap over $2 billion and/or listed on major national and global indices.
Corporate Knights Notice and Disclaimer
This document and all of the information contained in it, including without limitation all text, data, graphs, charts (collectively, the “Information”) is the property of Corporate Knights Inc. known herein as “Corporate Knights” and is provided for informational purposes only. The Information may not be modified, reverse-engineered, reproduced or redisseminated in whole or in part without prior written permission from Corporate Knights.
The Information may not be used to create indexes, databases, risk models, analytics, software, or in connection with the issuing, offering, sponsoring, managing or marketing of any securities, portfolios, financial products or other investment vehicles utilizing or based on, linked to, tracking or otherwise derived from the Information or any other Corporate Knights data, information, products or services.
The user of the Information assumes the entire risk of any use it may make or permit to be made of the Information. CORPORATE KNIGHTS DOES NOT MAKE ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS WITH RESPECT TO THE INFORMATION (OR THE RESULTS TO BE OBTAINED BY THE USE THEREOF).
Information containing any historical information, data or analysis should not be taken as an indication or guarantee of any future performance, analysis, forecast or prediction. Past performance does not guarantee future results.
None of the Information constitutes an offer to sell (or a solicitation of an offer to buy), any security, financial product or other investment vehicle or any trading strategy.
The Information may contain back tested data. Back-tested performance is not actual performance, but is hypothetical. There are frequently material differences between back tested performance results and actual results subsequently achieved by any investment strategy.
Constituents of Corporate Knights equity indexes or stock lists are listed companies, which are included in or excluded from the indexes or lists according to the application of the relevant methodologies. Accordingly, constituents in Corporate Knights equity indexes or lists may include Corporate Knights, clients of Corporate Knights or suppliers to Corporate Knights. Inclusion of a security within a Corporate Knights index or list is not a recommendation by Corporate Knights to buy, sell, or hold such security, nor is it considered to be investment advice.
Corporate Knights receives compensation in connection with licensing its indexes to third parties. Corporate Knights Inc.’s revenue includes fees based on assets in Index Linked Investments.
Any use of or access to products, services or information of Corporate Knights requires a license from Corporate Knights. Corporate Knights brands and product names are the trademarks, service marks, or registered trademarks of Corporate Knights and its subsidiaries in Canada, United States and other jurisdictions.
Click here to go back to the ranking landing page.